Thursday, August 2, 2012

Getting Some Work Done

 
Thursday, August 2, 2012 - Getting Some Work Done

I’m sitting here in the self-service restaurant of Fair Oaks Hospital, sipping Starbucks coffee.  It’s not yet 8 in the morning, but I just finished eating my second meal of the day – a piece of rye flatbread with some roasted red pepper hummus, ¼ slice of cheddar cheese, and a single, luscious Washington State cherry, washed down with a few gulps of water from my water bottle – all of which I brought from home. 

The buzz of my alarm going off at 4:45 this morning was not a pleasant sound, but I needed time for breakfast (and to pack up food) before our 5:30 departure for the hospital.  One advantage of getting out so early – most of the traffic lights along Main Street in Fairfax City don’t operate until 6 a.m., so we whizzed right through downtown in record time.   Also, if we hadn’t been out so early, we would have missed the beautiful glowing pearl of a full moon, hanging low in the southwestern sky. 

It was just barely light when we pulled into a parking place right in front of the hospital entrance.  Up on the second floor, there was already a flurry of activity.  However, I couldn’t help yawning (and dreaming of finding a comfy bed) all through the check-in process.  Those days when I was part of an early morning crew seem like ancient history now. 

And the reason for our early morning outing?  Elliott is having a minor surgical procedure done.  What kind of surgery?  On his eyelids.  I guess you could say he’s getting some work done.  However, the operation isn’t being performed for cosmetic purposes.  He’s having his sagging lower lids tightened up to reduce tearing and inflammation. 

As expected, Elliott kept every member of the medical staff well-entertained throughout the pre-op period.  As soon as they wheeled him off to the operating room, I headed to the ladies room to give my face some much-needed attention.  After a little lipstick, blush, and enhancement for the eye area, I could once again recognize the person looking back at me in the mirror.  It’s funny how my perception of the way I look can be so out of synch with reality.  When I see photos from recent get-togethers where I’m standing next to younger former colleagues, I’m shocked.  The age difference is so obvious.  Now I’m debating about whether I should get “some work” done.  I hesitate to do anything that involves cutting.  But I’d consider an injection of one of those miracle fillers I see advertised in magazines.  I’m not even sure about that, though.  Of course, in the interim, I might check out that $25 non-surgical “face lift” that I saw on one of the morning television news programs.  It’s a very simple concept involving a miniature bungee cord.  Or I could just walk around with my fingers pulling at my temples all day for instantly younger eyes.

And then there’s Elliott, who has aged so gracefully, white hair and all.   What would the female version of Elliott look like, I wonder.  Hmm, that might be a fun project to try with PhotoShop.  By the way, he’s lucky I didn’t bring the camera along this morning or you could see how cute he looked in the hospital gown and blue cap. 

No comments:

Post a Comment