Friday, August 24, 2012

Who's that Bracelet Lady?

 
Friday, August 24, 2012 – Who's that Bracelet Lady?

It’s taken me 62 years to get to this point, but I am now an official “bracelet lady,” i.e. one of those women who wear stacks of bracelets.  Yes, slowly but surely, I’ve abandoned my minimalist stance on jewelry. 

My first ear piercing, which took place in my doctor’s office, dates back to my high school years.  All through college, I favored dangly ethnic earrings with colorful beads.  Soon after college graduation, I got a “real” job and stopped wearing earrings altogether. I assumed the holes had closed up and gave away my entire earring collection.  Eventually, when I was in my thirties and looking for new means of self-expression, I resumed wearing earrings (no, the holes hadn’t closed completely).  On rare occasions, I would add a strand of pearls, or a delicate gold chain around my neck.  Then came my engagement/wedding ring (a dual-purpose band). Over time, I added three more rings, all of which I now wear constantly.  But aside from my watch, my wrists remained bare until a few years ago. 

My first bracelet purchase was a delicate construction of silver and gold wire, acquired during a girls’ trip to Shepherdstown, WV.  Every year since then, I’ve added a couple of bracelets to my collection.  Each has its own special associations with a particular place, event, or friends.  Although the collection was growing, I tended to wear each bracelet solo.  But look at me now after yesterday’s self-decorating spree at the National Gallery of Art.  (And please note that I did not purchase ALL of these bracelets yesterday.)    



A big thank you to Marcela for the crystal-studded bangle, a momento of our wonderful day in DC – more about that in my next post, tentatively entitled The Adventures of Las Tres Amigas.  As you can see from the photo, I’ve learned how to pile on several bracelets simultaneously and I’m reveling in all the jingly, jangly, shiny, sparkly, gleaming, glittery fun of it all.  I also suspect that this new development is tied to the recent change in my work status; it signifies my liberation from the classroom.  Imagine trying to write on the board with so much hardware clunking around on my wrist.

Now that I sport stacked rings and bracelets, why not go ahead with multiple earrings in each ear?  Several female friends and acquaintances, all quite respectable, have them.  Or could there be a belly button ring (small and tasteful, of course) in my future?  Weigh in with your opinions, please. 

No comments:

Post a Comment