Sunday, August 19, 2012

Omward Bound

 
Sunday – August 18, 2012 – Omward Bound



The title of the photo above is Omward Bound – if you look closely, you’ll see the word “om” on my exercise top.  Actually, I wasn’t on my way to an early morning yoga class.  In fact, I was bound for a quick workout at Lifetime, followed by stops at Walgreen’s and Trader Joe’s on my way om, I mean, home.  I had to get out and get back early since my friend Eleanor was picking me up at noon for our day at the theater in DC.  I’d invited Elliott to be my date to Menopause: The Musical, but he turned me down.  You missed a great show, Elliott, although I have to admit you wouldn’t have appreciated it the way Eleanor and I did.  It was funny, energizing, uplifting, and immensely entertaining.  I even got to join the very talented 4-woman cast on stage at the Warner Theater for the final number. 




When I came back from the theater, I found a drawing propped up on the piano.  I immediately knew what Elliott had in mind, and it just confirmed my suspicions that our artistic approaches are fundamentally different.  Where he envisions crisply delineated planes of color, even in the background, I’ve been seeing organic movement of color.  Thinking back to the days when I did a lot of work in pastel, I think I must be constitutionally incapable of leaving an area of flat color.  I once set myself the task of creating a pastel painting where there were areas of solid color without the slightest hint of texture or volume.  Try as I might, I couldn’t resist adding some shading, dabbling in color modulation, or experimenting with texture.  Looking forward to the weeks ahead, I can see that it’s going to be quite a challenge to work on this new series of paintings with Elliott.  I hope we can avoid all-out war. 

No comments:

Post a Comment