Saturday, August 18, 2012

Good Fortune, Good Food

 
Saturday, August 18, 2012 – Good Fortune, Good Food

Once again, Elliott and I did our part to support the local economy by going out for a Restaurant Week meal, our second this week.  I guess we were just fulfilling our destiny (see photo).  You can’t argue with the fortune in a fortune cookie.  



This afternoon, we met friends Millicent and Andy at Vermillion in Alexandria.  I dressed up for the occasion.  Note the hat, the accent color of the belt (red in keeping with the vermillion theme), and the lacy camisole top.  Millicent is one of those people in my life who brings out my inner fashionista, probably because she’s always so perfectly put together herself.  In my ordinary attire, I’d feel out of place next to her.  Elisa has a similar effect on me.  

Two antiques parked on Prince Street



As soon as Millicent and Andy arrived, we took a bunch of photos in Vermillion's lovely lounge area, which is decorated in shades of deep red, as the restaurant’s name suggests. 




Among the choices on the Restaurant Week menu, the gazpacho was a real standout.  The sweet notes of melon rounded out the acidity of the tomatoes, and the basil crème fraîche created additional complexity of flavor.  I loved the smoked salmon eggs benedict and the accompanying potato latkes – sorry, Mom, yours were good, but these were the best I’ve ever tasted.  Of course we left room for dessert and weren’t disappointed by the vanilla fritters or the chocolate cheesecake.  Seasonal sorbets (raspberry and cherry) complemented each.  






I managed to get through the day without a nap (which was surprising, considering last night’s lack of sleep), but I’ll be ready for an early bedtime tonight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment