Monday, August 27, 2012

Isn't It Time to Go Back to School Yet?

 
Monday, August 27, 2012 – Isn’t It Time to Go Back to School Yet? 

It’s Monday, and not just any Monday, but the Monday before Labor Day.  As a long-time teacher in Fairfax County, I know what that means.  Today is the day that teachers report back for a week of workdays prior to the start of classes.  



For me, this presents a major challenge.  I can’t imagine not being there with all my AHS colleagues for Professional Development Week.  All weekend long, I was preparing for this day.  I washed my AHS tote bag.  I selected my pencils.  I tried on my AHS polo shirt.  Confession time – I even printed out the daily schedule of Professional Week activities.  At the same time, I promised Elliott that I wouldn’t set my alarm clock for a ridiculously early hour.  I told him I wouldn’t pack a day’s worth of food and beverages into my lunchbox.  And just to be on the safe side, I begged him to hide the car keys.  Just don’t forget where you put them, I added. 

I’m glad to report that I met the challenge.  While scores of my friends were pulling into the AHS parking lot this morning, I was still sound asleep.  The sun was barely over the horizon, but they were in the red and white cafeteria, reconnecting over muffins, bagels, donuts, fruit, O.J., and other carb-laden treats.  By the time I awoke, they were well on their way to a sugar high that would last at least a couple of hours. 

It’s a good thing I didn’t have to get up and go into work this morning.  Last night, I didn’t get to bed until nearly 1:00 a.m.  I stayed up with Elliott, who was still struggling with the side effects of the pharmaceutical stew he consumes on a daily basis.  I had to make a late run out to the 24-hour pharmacy, and when I got back, I was so wide awake that I started snacking – on healthy stuff, of course, like Trader Joe’s new “light” guacamole (guac + yogurt = yum).  Once things had calmed down with Elliott, I needed to get a good night’s sleep.

When I eventually got up around 8:30 a.m. and sat down to eat breakfast, I was thinking of my AHS colleagues and missing them terribly.  I was missing the warm greetings, excited chatter, and the rush of adrenalin that accompanies the start of the school year.  If things had been different at home, I would be there with you still.  But I know I made the right decision. 

So, on this day when I didn’t go back to start a new school year, I did all the things that are now part of my daily routine, such as checking Elliott’s medical status, monitoring his morning meds, and showering with my shower-buddy.  Then I headed over to Lifetime to work out and take a second shower.  Since I got such a late start this morning, it was officially afternoon when I finished up.  You know what that means:  I was feeling serious hunger pangs.  But before going home for lunch, I had to stop and pick up a few important grocery items. 

Speaking of food, which I do quite often, I realize that I acquired my frequent grocery shopping habit when we lived in France and my kitchen was equipped with a mini-sized refrigerator.  It wasn’t a problem – I had plenty of time and easy access to local greengrocers, plus a thrice-weekly farmers market.  Even though we moved back to the U.S. nearly 25 years ago (gulp), the marketing habit obviously stuck. 

On today’s list:  from the supermarket salad bar, containers full of broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms, and purple cabbage – to dip into hummus, add to a salad, or roast with olive oil at dinnertime; and a bag of Werther’s Originals, those creamy, buttery hard candies –for you-know-who to stash in his secret hiding place.  His supply was running dangerously low.  I keep telling him that he’d feel better if he ate more healthfully, but to no avail.  Today, for example, I offered him some of my delicious lunch, but he turned me down.  I just can’t understand how someone couldn’t love a protein-packed mixture of quinoa, chickpeas, and Trader Joe’s Punjab Eggplant, straight out of the refrigerator.  Mmm, the combination of chilled and spicy is so delectable.  I savored every single bite.  


No comments:

Post a Comment