Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Home Economics

 
Wednesday, August 1, 2012 – Home Economics

Once again, it's time to focus on food.  Today, it's baby artichokes.  I just happened to see these adorable miniature vegetables in the farmers’ market on last Saturday.  They gazed up at me so sweetly from their green cardboard baskets that I had to take them home with me.  I’ve always wanted to try baby artichokes.  I think I read somewhere that they don’t even have chokes.  (chokeless artichokes???)  They’re popular in the South of France, and all of my Provençal cookbooks feature recipes that call for tiny baby artichokes.  During the time I lived near the Mediterranean, I’d never tried preparing them.  At last, here was my chance to remedy that lapse.  

Elliott cradling baby artichokes in his hands

Buying produce at the farmers’ market is admittedly costly, but at least I’m supporting our local farmers.  To compensate for this minor extravagance, I’ve cut back on some other expenditures – on tea, for example.  I used to buy loose tea at Teavana in the mall.  A pricey green tea called Gyokuro Imperial was my favorite.  It looked like tender shoots of new grass and had a fresh grassy flavor.  When I ran out of it recently, I decided to use up all the teabags I had in the kitchen cabinets rather than rushing out to Teavana to replenish my supply of the expensive Gyokuro.  Much to my surprise, I discovered that some of the less expensive teas are quite satisfactory.  In fact, my new tea of choice is Bigelow’s Green Tea with Peach, followed closely by their Green Tea with Pomegranate.  My friend Janet recommends Bigelow’s Green Tea with Blueberry for iced tea.  All of these varieties are available in the supermarket.  And I don’t feel at all deprived.  With the money I’m saving from this economizing measure, I’ll be able to buy a basket of baby okra next Saturday – yum! 

My collection of Japanese tea containers

My new favorite tea


No comments:

Post a Comment