Wednesday, January 4, 2012

An Active Retiree

 
Just back from an “Active Retirees” meeting at my temple in Alexandria.  I was curious – did I fit the profile of an active retiree?  I can now report that an active retiree looks nothing like me.  I was a good decade younger than the other folks (mostly women) in attendance.   I was one of the few without silvery hair.  Elliott felt right at home, though.  While everyone was mentally sharp, several people had walkers or canes.  The guest speaker (a member of the group) gave a presentation on colorful Yiddish sayings.  Yiddish is a language I’m familiar with through my parents and grandparents.  In fact, my mother’s mother spoke only Yiddish.  I’ve heard the language spoken since my earliest years but I’ve never really studied it.  While the presentation was interesting, I found it impossible to avoid nodding off at several points during the 90-minute program.  This is NOT an age-related problem, I assure you.  I’ve suffered from this malady for at least forty years.  I remember quite well dozing off in the midst of fascinating art history lectures in college.  I routinely fall asleep during movies, while watching television, or while reading.  It must be related to lack of activity.  Once I start to move around again, I feel completely alert.  I’ve asked a few of my doctors about it but no one had much to offer in the way of medical solutions.  It’s something I’ve just learned to live with.  One major impact it has had on my life is that I avoid driving for more than an hour at a time. 

Continuing on a sober note, my body continues its inexorable breakdown.  I consulted the doctor this afternoon about a small growth that suddenly appeared my face about two weeks ago.  He assured me that it was nothing to get concerned about – as long as it doesn’t get bigger or darker or anything else scary.  So I’ll be vigilant.  I followed up the doctor’s appointment with another visit to the gym where I easily racked up four-plus miles on the elliptical machine.  I felt like I was flying and I could have kept going forever.  I wonder if that cup of real coffee I downed about an hour earlier had anything to do with my burst of energy.  It’s possible, I suppose.  I’m still quite caffeine-sensitive, having somehow avoided the stuff for most of my adult life.  Also, if I keep exercising at this rate, I’ll have to go out and buy more workout clothes – or just do laundry more frequently.  

Fortunately, dinner tonight is based on leftovers so I’ll have time to whip up a batch of my healthy oatmeal chocolate chip cookies that I plan to bring into Annandale High tomorrow. (Note to self – don’t eat all the cookies tonight!)

No comments:

Post a Comment