Friday, January 27, 2012

So why are we going to Florida????

January 27, 2012

I’m super-energized after my AHS visit.  I brought some sweet treats for my former students because I like to introduce them to foods they may not be familiar with.  Today, it was vanilla meringues, courtesy of Trader Joe’s.  The students were intrigued when they saw them, and pleasantly surprised when they bit into them.  That’s what I was hoping for.  When you put a cloud-like meringue in the palm of your hand and look at its delicate swirls, you have no idea how delightfully it will melt in your mouth, how its flavors will unfurl.  And I just watched while they experienced this for the first time. 

On my way home, the sun punched through the clouds.  The freshly laundered colors of sky and brick and holly bush shone – at least temporarily.   But there’s Mozart’s Piano Concerto #23 playing on the car radio, so my spirits are high.  (By the way, Happy Birthday, Wolfgang.)  I can’t wait to get home and eat.  One great thing about retirement is eating according to my stomach’s needs rather than according to a bell schedule.  However, I already know what I’m having for lunch today – feijoada – day 4 – groan.  I can’t bear the thought of wasting food.  I wonder if the birds would like it, or if I could feed it to the neighbor’s dog. 

Speaking of food, I made a red lentil and roasted garlic mixture that I’m bringing to our neighborhood happy hour later today.  It was super-easy and super-flavorful.  Let me know if you want the recipe.  



And finally, it’s 64 degrees outside – so why are we going to Florida????  It's clearly not because of the weather. 

No comments:

Post a Comment