Monday, January 9, 2012

Withdrawal Symptoms

January 9, 2012 – Withdrawal Symptoms

Retirement for me seems to be a gradual process.  How else can I explain my presence at Annandale High shortly before 9:30 this morning?  Supposedly, I was there for another STAND meeting but I had gotten a phone call from my STAND co-sponsor before I left the house to let me know that the meeting probably wasn’t going to happen.  Even so, I decided to go in – in case someone showed up for the meeting, or just to give some help to my long-term sub, or to see if I’d left some materials in a file cabinet.  But these are all just rationalizations.  Clearly, I’m going through AHS withdrawal.  How long will this continue?

I didn’t stay at school for very long, maybe a little over an hour.  I had to meet a friend for lunch at Curry Mantra.  Eating lunch out during the week still feels like such a guilty pleasure.  We lingered at the table without even glancing at the time.  When we walked out of the restaurant, snow had just started to fall.  I’m home now, looking out the window through a thick veil of snowflakes.  Since I’m going to stay inside this afternoon, I should do my Spanish homework.  But I’d rather knit, or read, or make applesauce.  I really sympathize with my students who do whatever they can to avoid doing their homework. 

Plumbing update – all appears to be working fine with the drain.  Elliott will have to find a new project to keep him busy. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you still feel attached to AHS! It's a great place! . . . .Kate
    PS Don't you want to proctor WIDA?

    ReplyDelete