Tuesday, January 3, 2012

I Can't Believe It!

 
January 3, 2012.  It’s 7:14 in the morning.  The warning bell has just rung.  My first class of the day is about to begin in 6 minutes.  But I’m not there.  I’m not standing in the doorway greeting students.  I’m not glancing over at the whiteboard to review the day’s agenda.  Instead, I’m sitting at home, sipping my second (!) cup of green tea.  Ah, what luxury.  The alarm didn’t jar me out of my dreams at 5 o’clock.  That’s one of the pleasures of retirement that I’ve been anticipating for years.  But equally exciting is the knowledge that I can drink as much tea or coffee as I want throughout the day without worrying about how I’ll find time to get to the restroom.  Most people don’t realize that this is a constant source of anxiety for teachers (not to mention a constant source of urinary tract infections). 

No comments:

Post a Comment