Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Afghan Experience (Elliott Encounters Afghan Cuisine)

It was always so hard to find the time and energy to exercise when I was working.  I’d be full of energy for my first couple of classes each day.  But after lunch, my energy level always started to wane, and by the time I got home from school, I’d be too exhausted to walk or go to the gym.  Since I’m definitely a morning person (even as a retiree), I’ve devised a new daily schedule that takes advantage of my peak energy period.  I have no trouble eating breakfast by seven o’clock.  That means I can easily get to the gym by nine.   Even with a workout and shower, I’ll have time for a quick errand or two before lunchtime.  

I tried the new schedule out today.  After breakfast, I read the paper and checked my email.  Even with a quick stop at Trader Joe’s, I was home from the gym at 11 and then went out with Elliott for lunch.  This gray and gloomy day called for some warm and exciting food, so I decided to introduce him to Afghan cuisine.  At Panjshir (http://www.panjshirrestaurant.com/), an Afghan restaurant in Falls Church, Elliott scrutinized the menu until he found something vaguely recognizable – lamb kebab with saffron rice.  In addition, I ordered a variety of vegetable dishes and an appetizer called aushak.  When the aushak (scallion-stuffed dumplings smothered with yogurt and a meat sauce) arrived, Elliott turned to me and said, “You’re giving me that?”  Although he was skeptical, he took a bite and found the aushak quite tasty.  I was delighted with the sabsi (spinach), zardack (carrots), banjan (eggplant) and kadu (pumpkin) that I ordered.  He found the vegetables a little too spicy for his palate.  For dessert, we shared a luscious baklava and a firnee (a pudding-like dessert flavored with cardamom and garnished with almonds and walnuts).  After such a satisfying lunch, I’ll be able to get through the afternoon with nothing more than a cup of tea while I sit by the fire reading and doing my Spanish homework. 

This past week has been a veritable world tour for my taste buds:  on Sunday, it was a proper English tea complete with scones and lemon curd; on Monday, the fiery cuisine of southern India at Curry Mantra; on Tuesday, a nod to France with a slice of spinach-mushroom quiche  and an almond-pear tart at the Alexandria Pastry Café;  and today, Wednesday, I explored the food of Afghanistan.  Looking ahead to Thursday, I’ll be confronted by an overwhelming selection of diverse offerings at Wegman’s when we do our grocery shopping.  I have a lunch date with a friend on Friday at a classic Italian restaurant in Old Town Alexandria.  And I’ll undoubtedly stop for lunch out on Saturday after services – will it be Middle Eastern?  Chinese?  Thai?  Ethiopian? 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds to me like you're running through your retirement pay by early afternoon every day! Just a thought, Eleanor

    ReplyDelete