Monday, January 16, 2012

MLK Day

January 16, 2012
I’m almost too tired to write this tonight.  I set my alarm to ring at 6:30 this morning (that used to be late when I was working – now it’s early).  One of the reasons I’m exhausted is that I didn’t sleep very well last night.  I was thinking about how Elliott would manage, keeping himself occupied in DC for several hours.  Fortunately, as soon as I woke up, he informed me that he was going to stay home today because he had “a lot of work to do.”  I can’t tell you how relieved I was with his decision! 

I was surprised to see so many volunteers when I arrived at the Harriet Tubman Elementary School for the community service project.  I’d guess that there were close to 100 people there.  I chose to do one of the indoor activities since the temperatures were only in the 30s and there was a chilly wind blowing.  My assignment was to label books in a teacher’s classroom library according to their reading level.  The three hours went pretty quickly and I rewarded myself with a slice of pizza from Pete’s A-Pizza (New Haven style, a veggie slice with a perfectly charred thin crust) before I got on the Metro to return to Virginia. 

Good night! 

No comments:

Post a Comment