Thursday, January 12, 2012

Oh, what a beautiful morning - and another lovely day!

I love these mornings when I don’t have to rush out of the house so early.  Although I awoke around 6, I waited until I detected some light coming into the bedroom before I arose.  Shortly after 7 am, it felt like the right time to go into the kitchen. The local wildlife was already stirring.  In the still-dim gray light of approaching dawn, a group of deer wandered peacefully through the backyard.  The sun was not yet over the horizon, but I could see brush strokes of pale pink through the bare tree branches.  Our friendly neighborhood red fox trotted past, looking remarkably well-fed.  Speaking of food, I made a special breakfast this morning:  scrambled eggs sprinkled with za’atar (a Middle Eastern mixture of thyme and sesame seeds) and a toasted English muffin with hummus – just for a little variety.  I also wanted to pack in some extra protein early in the day as a way of combating snack cravings.  This strategy worked quite well.  I was able to wait until lunchtime before I had anything else to eat.  Perhaps the fact that I was out of the house from shortly after breakfast until noon contributed to my success.  Elliott and I went out for a mall walk and a 10 o’clock “one-to-one” training session at the Apple Store.  And instead of stopping at Wegman's for groceries on the way home, where I probably would have had trouble resisting the salad bar, the Asian bar, the sushi bar, the pizza counter, etc., I chose to drive directly home for lunch.  I am actually quite proud of myself for doing this.  So I had a sensible lunch and I’m now cooking a pot of sweet potato and red lentil soup for dinner.  It also has leeks, carrots and celery, and it’s flavored with ginger, garlic, and curry powder.  The aroma is fantastic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment