Sunday, January 8, 2012

A Delightful Saturday

January 8, 2012
Nearing victory in the plumbing war – late Saturday afternoon, Elliott was finally able to subdue the leak that appeared under the sink after he completed the installation of the new drain.  He celebrated this major achievement by taking a two-hour nap.  The only remaining challenge is to adjust the plunger-stopper thing, and I have no doubt that Elliott will triumph in this struggle before the day is over.  This operation was actually a team effort.  My role was to provide moral, medical and nutritional support as well as crucial transport and financial services.  This involvement hasn’t precluded other activities – read on.

Buenos dias – I had my first private Spanish class Saturday morning.  One of my former students spent an hour with me in the library doing conversation practice, going over some verbs, and reading a Peruvian folktale.  I even have homework to complete before our next lesson.  This role reversal is fun!   

And since the temperatures remained in the mid-60s throughout the day, I did some yard work and went for a power-walk through the woods after lunch.  I had plenty of energy, thanks to that therapeutic cup of coffee I drank mid-afternoon.  I even visited my mother in Greenspring, did some reading and knitting, and watched cooking shows on public television. Elliott was napping during dinner time, so I just poured myself a glass of wine and ate smoked oysters right out of the can.  Overall, my first Saturday as an official retiree was delightful.  

The new gym bag I ordered online arrived via FedEx yesterday so I’m going to pack it up and head out to Lifetime for a good workout. 

No comments:

Post a Comment