Sunday, January 8, 2012

Sunday

Did I mention that we still had a teeny little plumbing problem this morning?  When I returned from the gym, I congratulated Elliott on conquering the drain demon, but it turned out that my congratulatory remarks were premature.  After I showered, I discovered a large damp spot on the floor of the cabinet directly under the drain.  Finding the source of the leak and eradicating it should keep Elliott entertained while I’m in D.C. having tea with Elisa this afternoon. 

My morning session on the elliptical machine burned up at least 200 calories, but I’m certain I consumed at least twice that many at tea in the Mayflower Hotel’s opulent Café Promenade.  Elisa and I sipped our tea and nibbled on sweet and savory snacks under the sparkling crystal chandeliers.  The sandwiches and pastries were tiny, but plentiful and delicious.   Standouts were the crabmeat canapé, the moist banana-nut bread (great with a smidgeon of lemon curd) and the miniature chocolate éclair. 

No cooking tonight.  A salad will be just fine.  But I need to work up an appetite since I already have lunch plans for tomorrow – Indian food with a fellow Annandale ESOL retiree.  Yes, eating lunch out during the week truly makes me feel retired. 

And another benefit of retirement:  I realize that retirement has liberated me from that Sunday afternoon dread that would creep up stealthily as I was trying to enjoy my last few hours of weekend freedom.  I would be cleaning up from dinner and setting out my breakfast for Monday morning, all the while thinking about how I’d be back at work in less than 12 hours.  But not anymore! 

1 comment:

  1. Sunday night dread. I had that, too. Sometimes had to take a tranquilizer on Sunday night--it got that bad! Congratulations on conquering it!

    ReplyDelete