Friday, January 27, 2012

Thunder in January

 
January 27, 2012 – January Thunder

Up early, awakened by the clatter of some form of precipitation – hail, sleet, freezing rain, perhaps?  It was a little after six o’clock.  Would school be cancelled, or would there be a delayed opening?  Old habits die hard.  Just thinking of a “snow day” got my adrenal flowing.  I scurried out from under the covers, rushed to the television and turned on channel 21, the FCPS station, hoping to see the announcement running across the bottom of the screen.  But, no, there was nothing.  And when I looked out the window, I was a little disappointed to see plain, ordinary rain falling.  Over the next few minutes, it gradually tapered to a fine drizzle, so I dashed out to pick up the newspaper.  The temperature was about 60 degrees, which is very strange for this time of year.  The rain returned with a vengeance about an hour later – along with crashes of thunder, which is quite bizarre for January.  It’s dismal-looking, but quiet, out there now.  At least the weather won’t interfere with my morning plans to visit a couple of my former classes at Annandale High.  Kari, my long-term sub, has kindly agreed to let me barge into her classroom.  I’ll try not to be too disruptive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment