Wednesday, January 18, 2012

January 18 - Time to Slow Down

Maybe it’s time to slow down a little bit.  I was out of the house most of the day and I was out most of the evening, too.  First, it was an active retirees program at our temple this morning.  We learned about “egg creams,” a beverage that contains neither eggs nor cream.  It seems to have originated in Brooklyn, New York in the late 1800s and was very popular in the Jewish immigrant community.  I’ve heard of egg creams, but I’d never sampled one.  And I didn’t want to sample one today, once I found out what it is:  milk, chocolate syrup and seltzer water.  Carbonated chocolate milk doesn’t sound very appetizing to me. 

After the program, Elliott and I did a few errands.  The most important task was to replenish our supply of graham crackers before we ran out of them completely.  In fact, we bought two boxes to placate the resident cookie monster (aka Elliott).  I had a quick lunch, and then went into school for the 2:00 STAND meeting.  On the way out, I made the mistake of stopping into the ESOL workroom and asking Leslie if there was anything I could do to help.  Well, of course, she managed to find a job for me to do.  By the time I left, it was 4:00 and I was starving again.  But I hadn’t exercised in the morning, so before I ate anything, I took a 20-minute walk through the woods while there was still some light.  We had a quick dinner and then I went over to my neighbor’s house for a play reading.  I only lasted halfway through Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? before I started to fade.  It wasn’t even 9:00, but I felt like I’d crammed enough activities into one day. 

Maybe I’m so afraid of being a “do-nothing” retiree that I’m over-scheduling and over-committing myself.  I’ve been officially retired for two and a half weeks and I feel like every day is a competition to see how much I can do.  I have to remind myself that this isn’t winter break or summer break, but the rest of my life and I don’t have to do everything right away.  I’ll have to think through this tomorrow because I’m too tired to do any more thinking now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment